Sunday, February 07, 2010

Cats Vs. Dogs and why I write Cats by Eliza Gayle

Cats Vs. Dogs and why I write Cats


I’ve always thought of myself as a cat person even though I love lots of animals. I have a hard time resisting any kittens or puppies, and I currently have a dog. A husky which in many ways resembles a wolf. But my real reason for writing cougar shifters first was because of a trip to a Wildlife center here in North Carolina.

I had already decided on cats before then because I find the big kitties wildly beautiful. I love to watch them run. So much power packed into a smallish body. They are deceptively beautiful and whenever we are close to one we instinctively know they are much stronger than us. Combining that power and beauty with human intelligence just made sense to me.

Settling on a cougar took a little more time. I though about Jaguars, leopards, lions, you name it. The setting for this series is in the North Carolina mountains and I wanted to write about an animal you would actually find here. Bobcats are the most prevalent but they are so small and I just couldn’t see my big strapping heroes as overgrown house cats. When in my research I stumbled upon a Native American myth about the elusive Black Cougar here in our mountains everything clicked and I knew where I was headed.

Back to that trip to the Wildlife center. It was cougar day and they were having professionals come in and talk about cougars and answer all your questions. Ha! Little did they know they were about to be bombarded by a romance author. After the presentation I wandered the grounds alternating between the cougars, the black bears and the wolves. These are the predators indigenous to our state and hands down I still wanted to write cougars. Although a big black bear would make a gorgeous and scary shifter as well.

Bottom line I think cougars are sexy and I hope you will as well. Wolves are great but there’s just something about the sleek, powerful look of a cougar on the prowl.

Lucas goes on sale this week at Phaze Books!

Here is the summary:

Kira MacDonald is in trouble. Plagued by false visions and erotic dreams of a man she’s never met, she fears losing both her psychic powers and her sanity. The cure? Finding and bonding with her mate. The stubborn red-haired warrior might not want one, but fate has other plans, plans that include her rescuing Lucas Gunn.

As the Guardian of his shape-shifting clan, Lucas Gunn lived a quiet, solitary life. Until he was kidnapped, examined, and tortured. Now imprisoned, his only tie to the outside world is the memory of his dreams and the passionate woman who appears nightly in them. He thought she was nothing more than a vision. Then she came for him.

An uneasy alliance, a mating call that won’t be denied, rituals that must be honored, and unrelenting enemies who will stop at nothing to get what they want. It all comes together in the first of Eliza Gayle’s sensational Black Cougar Series. Passion and Pride. Duty and Danger. In the end, there’s really only one choice…for Lucas.

“Scorching hot sex and adrenaline pumping life or death action keep the pages turning until you reach the end. A satisfying read, Lucas is the beginning of a series worth getting your hands on…”
-Rachel, Fallen Angel Reviews

You can read an excerpt here.

No comments: