Monday, August 17, 2009

Interview with Ashley Ladd, romance author

I want to welcome romance author, Ashley Ladd, today...

· When did you get started writing and what motivated you to write?

I’ve been a writer as long as I can remember, since about age 6 I think. I used to write stories for my dad. I wanted to be like Lois Lane. Back then I wanted to be a journalist. Later when I discovered Harlequin romances, I started thinking about writing romances, too.

· What genres do you write in and why?

Several subgenres of romance. Paranormal (vampires, time-travel, witches, ghosts, and demons – so far), contemporary (often romantic comedy), erotic (MF, MM, MMF, MFM), and futuristic.

· What do you have published and where?

LOL. It’s a long list.

At total-e-bound – Friction anthology (Sorry Charlie), Best Mates, Simon Says, Caught in the Middle anthology (Charity’s Auction), Night of the Senses anthology (Welcome to Paradise), Secret Admirer, Last Man on Earth, Christmas Miracles, Naughty Boys, Heart & Soul, Submissive Dreams, Liquid Heat, Brit Party anthology, Wild Fantasies, Confessions of a Nympho, The Perfect Gift, Wishcraft, Shipwrecked

At Ellora's Cave – Truth Justice & the Vampire Way, Heavenly Hijinks, Chances Are, And Lady Makes Three (Pirates Booty), Civil Affairs, Purrfect Justice, American Beauty, Carbon Copy, Se- Kittens, Make-Believe Lover,

* And others that are no longer published.

· Tell me about some of your WIPs?

I’m working on the sequel to Simon Says that is about 3 gay detectives who work on murder cases involving the gay community. It’s a comedy romantic suspense.

· Tell me about yourself?

I’m a customer service manager for a charity where I’ve worked 15 years. I’m mom to five kids and grandma to two more. I’ve been married almost 30 years to the same man. I’m from Ohio but we’ve lived in Florida for the past twenty years since we separated from the US Air Force. Both my husband and myself were active duty Air Force.

I love to go to the movies and watch stories on the big screen. I also love Star Trek, Star Wars, the Indiana Jones movies, and most stories with action and adventure with some romance thrown in. I love cats. We have five.

· Where can we find you on the Internet?

My blog is at: http://www.ashleyladd.blogspot.com/

· What do you like to read? Who are your favorite authors?

Stephen King. Stephen White. Jane Eyre. Sherryl Woods. Amarinda Jones. Brynn Paulin. Kenzie Michaels. Sandra Cox. Barbara Huffert.

· How do people react when they find out you are an author?

My daughter’s softball coach found out last night and she seemed excited. She asked what my pen name is and said she might read some of my books.

Some act like it’s a cute little hobby.

Others want to give me their idea and have me write the story – and of course split the profits 50-50.

· Do you like writing your hero or heroine better? Which POV do you prefer?

I like third person POV. As per hero and heroine, I don’t prefer one over the other in the abstract. Specifically I may occasionally like one character better than another, but gender doesn’t matter.

· What is your perfect hero? Perfect heroine?

My perfect hero (for me in real life) is someone tall, dark, and handsome with a soft, husky voice. He must be responsible, nice, make me laugh, and help with the chores. In fiction, I like tall, dark, and handsome bad boys. Pure alpha males.

· Do you belong to any writer’s chapters or groups, like RWA?

I belong to WRW (World Romance Writers).

· Do you have any recommendations for aspiring writers?

Work with a critique group or partner. Make sure your story is very polished before submitting it to a publisher. Be open to critiques and edits. And of course, submit your work.

· How long did it take you from when you started writing to being published? From first submitting to being published?

A couple years.

· What do you think about the future of epublishing?

I think it’s the wave of the future. It’s a great way to go green and save the planet. It’s also easier to shop for ebooks, less expensive to purchase, and the font size can be adjusted. Ebooks are easier to store and carry. I don’t see why they’re not in the mainstream already.

· Do you do research for your stories? If so, what kind?

I do a lot of searching on the Internet. I also conduct interviews with industry professionals when warranted. I visit places when I can.

· Are you a plotter (plots and outlines) or a pantzer (by-the-seat-of-your-pants writer)? Why?

You got me. I’m a pantzer. Probably because I’m ADHD. My mind jumps all over the place at a zillion miles a second.

· What is the best or worst writing advice you’ve ever received?

Start writing the next story as soon as you submit the last. Since you’re busy, the wait to hear back about the first story won’t seem as long.

· Do you use a pen name? Why or why not?

Ashley Ladd is my pen name. I don’t think my daytime employer would be happy if they found out I write erotic romance. I don’t think my church would like it, either.

· Is there a genre that you haven’t written that you would like to?

Historicals?

Thanks, Ashley, for stopping by today. Here's the blurb for Ashley's latest release:


Sorry Charlie by Ashley Ladd

Charlie's dad wants to make up after a 17-year family feud...

He's overjoyed, excited, and nervous as hell that his father is finally accepting his sexual orientation and speaking to him after a 17-year family feud but Charlie can't understand why his long-term partner Jonathan is acting jealous and clingy, when he should be happy for him or at least supportive.

Jon's afraid Charlie's family will hurt him again and he doesn't know if he can mend Charlie's heart if it shatters a second time or stand by and watch while Charlie sets himself up for more heartbreak.

No comments: