Friday, March 12, 2010

Interview with Author Dawne Prochilo

Please welcome my fellow Romance Writers Behaving Badly author, Dawne Prochilo!


• Tell me a little bit about yourself.

I am a mother of five, live in rural Michigan and have always loved reading and writing and you can always find me at the computer, in the library or researching for my novels.

In my spare time I'll be in the kitchen cooking and baking up a storm- it's good therapy for me.

• What genre do you write in? Why did you pick that genre?

I started my writing career as a contemporary romance writer but have recently changed the genre and writing style to erotic romance. After writing my first love scene in Crape Myrtle, I decided I liked the way the words flowed out of my head and onto the pages. I spent s weekend dabbling with short erotic scenes. I read them to my husband, who was quite impressed, and viola, I found a new avenue with my writing. I don't think I really picked the erotic romance genre- I think it was always calling to me and it took that one love scene for me to realize it.

• What inspires you to write the type of stories that you write?

Life experiences. It amazing where you can pick up an idea for a storyline. Newspaper articles, silently watching a couple interact in a public location or even your own mind creating the scenes. When the storyline for Crape Myrtle slipped into my head, we were on as family vacation in Florida. The novel is based in Florida with many aspects of the area written into the book.

And believe it or not, music plays a large influence on my writing style and speed. Certain music helps me concentrate and keeps my fingers tapping on the keyboard.

• How would you describe your writing style? Plotter or pantser? Why?
I am a plotter all the way. I will come up with the basic storyline in my head and then sit down and write an outline. Not a complete outline but enough to get me started. I've never written a novel that didn't have at least four major changes in the story line. Sometimes when I start writing I don't like the feel for how the story is evolving or how the characters are interacting so I tweak it a little.

But I need a guide to keep the story flowing.

Having a prepared outline keeps me on track most of the time. I could never just sit down and start typing a story.

• What is your favorite genre to READ?

The main genre is romance and sub-genre would be a toss up between paranormal, contemporary and erotic.

• Do you have a specific place where you like to write? When, during the day, is your most creative time?

Wherever I can. I prefer in my bed with my laptop or in my little corner of an office but when the mood strikes... you take what you can get.

I find I'm most creative in the evenings or early morning hours. The house is quiet and no one is around to distract me.

• What’s your typical writing day?

Is there such a thing as a normal or typical writing day. Not in my world there's not. I write when I can on any scrap piece of paper and add it my writing folder as soon as I can.

• Do you have critique partners or beta readers? Why?

No I don't. I live very rurally and writers and authors are farf and few in between here. I know the Internet has social networking websites that I use for marketing and promoting- my only critique partner is my husband. He would read every word I wrote and offer suggestions and his thoughts or ideas.

• Do you have another job (besides writing)? If so, what do you do?

Yes I work for a major utility company in Michigan. I was working full time until the first of March when I requested part time. I needed to focus more on my writing and I also freelance for two local newspapers.



• What’s your take on the future of ebooks and epublishing?

Watch out in-print publishing world- here we come.

It's been amazing to watch over the last few years how the publishing world has started to fall. From newspapers cutting back to large publishing houses holding off on taking on new clients and downsizing- the publishing world is feeling the economic crunch.

You have the option of buying an in-print book, which could cost you anywhere from five to twenty dollars, or you can buy an ebook for as little as three dollars. Yes, you'd need to have a computer, laptop or e-reader, but the cost of ebooks are a definite positive advantage.

I think the epublishing world is just beginning.

• What’s your favorite food?

Pizza… extra cheese, bacon and ham. I could eat this every day. I'm a pretty basic person who enjoys the simple things in life.

• What’s your favorite movie? Why?

Easy question-The 80's classic The Breakfast Club. It's a multi generation movie that holds true to this day. Every one remembers the cliques in high school and how you didn't venture away from you group. Sad but true. You can see it in any high school hallway.

• Do you have a favorite book or author?

Not necessarily a favorite book but I have many authors that I enjoy and look for their releases, like Janet Evanovich, Robert B. Parker and Stuart Woods come to mind.

• Tell me about your latest or upcoming release?

It's a contemporary romance novel about a second chance at love. High school friends who never had the chance to discover their love but find each other after two decades and rekindle what should have been. It's called When We Meet Again and takes the reader over the couple's personal lives, triumphs, ordeals and, finally, dreams of each other and what could have been.

• Do you have any releases scheduled for 2010?

Possibly When We Meet Again. Waiting for my publisher to announce the release date. Nail biting time and I always dread this step. I'm very impatient.

• What’s your next project?

I'm working on a short collection of erotic tidbits and bedtime stories for adults. Kind of like a Little Golden Book for adults. It's ironic because the notebook I'm making all my notes in is golden in color. Nice little theme.
• Where can readers find you on the web?

On my blogs http://dawneprochilo.blogspot.com/  and http://romancewritersbehavingbadly.blogspot.com/ and at my current publishers website http://www.internationalagora.com/. I'm also on facebook, twitter (goldendawne1) and myspace.

3 comments:

An Open Book said...

Thank you Jeanne- appreciate the exposure
Dawne♥

Alyssa Ast said...

Another great interview Dawne!!

An Open Book said...

Thanks Alyssa..we'll have to get together one day and really chat