Monday, February 07, 2011

Interview with Author A.M. Hartnett

Please welcome fellow Loose Id author, A.M. Hartnett!

● Tell me a little bit about yourself.

I’m a short chick from Canada who began writing erotica in 2006. I’ve been published all over the place, from Oysters & Chocolate Erotic to anthologies like Passion: Erotic Romance for Women. Right now I have two titles available: The Company of Fools from Loose Id, and Head Over Heels from Total-E-Bound. This spring my next novel, Out of the Blue, is being published by Loose Id.

● Do you use a pseudonym and if so, why?

When I first started writing erotica I was also job hunting, so I didn’t want any potential employers googling me and coming across some girl-on-girl I had written, and so I went with the pen name of A.M. Hartnett. When I added romance to the mix I published these as Annemarie Hartnett.

● What genre do you write in? Why did you pick that genre?

So far I’ve written contemporary stories that have a bit of humour to them. I don’t have the suspension of disbelief that’s needed to write paranormal or fantasy and I only have a passing interest in history, so I write what I want to read. I love a good book that can make me giggle, so that’s what I strive for with my writing.

● What inspires you to write the type of stories that you write?

If I’m going to do something I need to be amused, and so in writing erotic romance that are fun and have a touch of humour I have to amuse myself. When my characters are interacting they also have to be charming the pants off of one another on the subconscious level.

As far as inspiration goes it really comes from anywhere and can either be driven by a location or something that happens. My latest release, Head Over Heels (Total-E-Bound) follows virtually the same path I took on a little road trip I took a few years ago and with each setting I just roll with “what could happen here?”

● How would you describe your writing style? Plotter or pantser? Why?

I try to be a plotter but I’ve learned that’s just not the way my brain works. I initially had Head Over Heels plotted with a completely different conflict but in the end had to let the characters forge their own path. In my life I like to have everything in order down to the last minute or last dollar, but with writing I just can’t do it. I can draft a rough outline with points A, B and C but as I get to know the characters I become less the leader and more the follower.

● What is your favorite genre to READ?

My tastes are ever evolving as a reader and I get cravings for certain types of books like I get cravings for food. I’m recently getting over a horror and paranormal/supernatural romance glut and seeking out very witty contemporary or historical titles. I’m always up for a rom-com – the more absurd and goofy, the better!

● Do you have a specific place where you like to write? When, during the day, is your most creative time?

I honestly hate writing through the week, since I have a day job and I like to hit the keyboard with no residue from the day on me, but it’s just not possible to only write on the weekend and keep some semblance of a life lol. So I tend to write for a couple of hours after supper and a hot shower when I can focus on just writing.

● What’s your typical writing day?

I need to clean my plate for the day before I get to writing, so it’s usually after the shower, eating, cleaning, errands, day job, and whatnot, and then I do one of two things – I take my netbook into the bedroom and just write, or else I park my butt in front of the desktop computer, which isn’t connected to the Internet so I have no distractions.

● What’s your take on the future of ebooks and epublishing?

I think ebooks and epublishing opens the door for readers to discover new authors they wouldn’t have had access too otherwise. For the most part, gone are the days when you had to hunt for a book if it wasn’t immediately available at your local bookseller -- at one point I ended up having to buy a book I coveted by emailing a small seller in Ireland and begging them to ship to Canada. Epublishing makes the hunt a little less frustrating. And talk about making travel easier when you’ve got an ereader. I’m a slave to mine.

● What’s your favorite movie? Why?

Lately the movie I have in the DVD player the most is Disney/Pixar’s Up. It’s just so absurd and hilarious – an old man who moves his house to South America using thousands of helium balloons, accompanied by a boy scout, a giant bird, and a talking dog. I mean, honestly, who comes up with idea this wonderful?

● Do you have a favorite book or author?

Too many to mention, but I’m a sucker for those who write absurd fiction like Janet Evanovich, Christopher Moore, and MaryJanice Davidson. Make me laugh and I’m your fan for life. I’ve also had the pleasure of adding Deanna Raybourn to my must-read list. I snagged the first in her Lady Julia Grey series as a freebie when Mills & Boon was offering it - loved it!

● Tell me about your latest release?

Head Over Heels released at the end of November from Total-E-Bound. It’s a contemporary novel that follows Sam and Chrissie as they start a new relationship while on vacation. This is a book I could have just kept on writing and writing and writing – the characters were so much fun and so cute together!



● Do you have any releases scheduled for 2011?

I’ve got one release scheduled from Loose Id called Out Of The Blue. It’s a novel that is partially based on my threesome short story, My Heroes, and follows a twenty-something temp as she becomes involved with her bisexual ex and his boyfriend.

● What’s your next project?

I’ve got two ideas I’m bouncing back and forth in my head right now, but it’s like a funhouse in there – who knows what the result will be?

● Where can readers find you on the web?

My website http://www.annemariehartnett.com/ lists all of my publications as both Annemarie Hartnett and A.M. Hartnett. I’m also on twitter as @amhartnett.

2 comments:

Cara Bristol said...

Enjoyable interview. I can so relate to A.M.'s reason for writing in the contemporary subgenre.

Annemarie Hartnett said...

It was a great interview, Jeanne. Thanks for letting me visit :)