Friday, October 08, 2010

Switching Genres: From Danger to Desire

Please welcome author Cherish D'Angelo during her Cherish the Romance Virtual Book Tour. And check out her giveway at the end of her post!

Switching Genres: From Danger to Desire


Thank you so much for hosting me here during my Cherish the Romance Virtual Book Tour, which launches my contemporary romantic suspense, Lancelot's Lady. I'm visiting today as Cherish D'Angelo, romance author, but I have a more dangerous side. I'm best known as suspense author Cheryl Kaye Tardif and I like to kill people off in my thrillers.

So why the switch? That's easy; I was presented with an opportunity I couldn't pass up. Romance is my second passion, next to suspense, and I've always known that sooner or later I'd venture into the land of sensuality and steam. When Textnovel announced they'd partnered with Dorchester Publishing to host the "Next Best Celler" romance writing contest, with the grand prize of a publishing contract with Dorchester, I knew I had to dive in head (and heart) first.

My first challenge was determining what to write. Then I recalled a manuscript I'd filed away, unfinished. My next challenge was to determine whether I'd use my regular writing name or a pen name. I decided to use Cherish D'Angelo. At least one of the posts during my tour tells you how I picked that name.

My greatest challenge was writing the novel. Though I had a good base already written, the original needed a lot of work. Posting it in 500-word scenes, helped me focus not only on the plot but on the sexual tension and the threat of danger, and that's where Lancelot's Lady really took off.

There is one major difference between writing suspense thrillers and a romantic suspense. In the former, plot and action drive the story. In the latter, the romantic journey drives the story.

There are similarities too. Characters in both genres need to be fully developed, with wants, needs, flaws, weaknesses, not to mention strengths. The suspense in each genre needs to keep readers turning the pages. My goal was to leave my readers wanting more by using "chapter hooks" at the end of nearly every 500-word scene.

Though officially Cheryl switched genres, from suspense thrillers to romance, Cherish couldn't help but add a strong element of suspense to Lancelot's Lady. It was easy. The character of Winston Chambers, a seedy and sadistic PI, created the tension necessary to pull off a romantic suspense.

What I've learned from switching genres is that I enjoy writing both suspense and romance. I've discovered that I don't like to put myself into a small box with a neat label. Even my thriller The River is a cross between sci-fi, supernatural, adventure and techno-thriller, with a dose of romance thrown in for good measure. I've learned that there is a fine line between danger and desire, and sometimes that line is blurred. I've also learned to listen to my inner muse. She always knows best what story I should write next.



Lancelot's Lady

A Bahamas holiday from dying billionaire JT Lance, a man with a dark secret, leads palliative nurse Rhianna McLeod to Jonathan, a man with his own troubled past, and Rhianna finds herself drawn to the handsome recluse, while unbeknownst to her, someone with a horrific plan is hunting her down.

Lancelot's Lady is available in ebook edition at KoboBooks, Amazon's Kindle Store, Smashwords and other ebook retailers. Help me celebrate by picking up a copy today and "Cherish the romance..."

You can learn more about Lancelot's Lady and Cherish D'Angelo (aka Cheryl Kaye Tardif) at http://www.cherishdangelo.com/ and http://www.cherylktardif.blogspot.com/. Follow Cherish from September 27 to October 10 on her Cherish the Romance Virtual Book Tour and win prizes.



Which genre is your favorite: romance or suspense?

Leave a comment here, with email address, to be entered into the prize draws. You're guaranteed to receive at least 1 free ebook just for doing so. Plus you'll be entered to win a Kobo ereader. Winners will be announced after October 10th.

8 comments:

J-Lie said...

i love both as long the story interesting and there is something on every pages that makes u want to flip and doesn't make u sleepy while reading it ^-^
nifnif_shop@yahoo.com

Cheryl Tardif said...

Hi J-Lie, I agree. So I think you'll enjoy Lancelot's Lady. :-)

Thanks for leaving your email address. You'll be entered into today's draws and you'll receive a free ebook at the end of my tour.

Cherish

LORETTA CANTON said...

I love both too but it sounds like you did a good job. It is nice to do some different.

loretta
lbcanton@verizon.net

Cheryl Tardif said...

Loretta and Lucy, you're now entered into today's prize draws, and you'll be receiving a free ebook (not Lancelot's Lady) at the end of my tour.

I hope you'll check out Lancelot's Lady. Let me know if you enjoy it. :-)

Cheers!
Cherish

Anonymous said...

I think we always need to have a go at our passions, no matter what comes of it. Which is probably why I've tried so many genres. :P And different recipes in my passion for cooking. You never know what you'll get by mixing things up.

jmfictionscribe at yahoo.com.au

Pam S (pams00) said...

I like both though I prefer romantic suspense over straight suspense with equal parts (or almost equal) of both.

pams00 @ aol.com

Cheryl Tardif said...

So very true, Jaime. Mixing things up is also a great way to challenge your writing abilities. :-)

Pam, that makes you kind of an equal opportunity employer. hehe

Cherish

Sarah Coulsey said...

I like them both combined!!!

I am playing catch up!! I had a wedding to go to and got behind. Sometimes even stalkers take a break!!!

P.s Thank you for stalking me!!!

sarahcoulsey03 at gmail dot com