Monday, June 28, 2010

Interview with Amylynn Bright, romance author

Please welcome author Amylynn Bright!

• When did you get started writing and what motivated you to write?

I’ve been writing my whole life. My first story was in the 3rd grade – The Lonely Crayon. It won a contest. Since then, I’ve been writing one genre or another but really found my home in Romance. I have no idea what started me writing except that I’m an extremely voracious reader – I read everything – and I guess I figured I could write too.

• What genres do you write in and why?

I generally write historical – in Regency London. I really enjoy recreating at romantic time. Besides, I love Jane Austen, although my books have considerably more sex than Miss Austen’s do.

• What do you have published and where?

I have Out of Heaven and The Sea Rose with Wicked Ink Press.com. I also have a full length novel out with agents.

• Tell me about some of your WIPs?

The above full length novel (a Regency) and several more short stories and TONS of ideas in various stages of development

• Tell me about yourself?

I’m a mom and, regrettably, I still have a day job. I read like a maniac even when I’m writing. My two kids and my idiot dog keep my husband and I very busy.

• Where can we find you on the Internet?

My sisters and I all do a blog – http://www.thequillsisters.com/  and I have my own site http://www.amylynnbright.com/ . Also facebook and twitter.

• What do you like to read? Who are your favorite authors?

If we’re strictly talking romance then JULIA QUINN (I feel like I should curtsy) Anna Campbell, Karen Hawkins, Rachel Gibson, Candace Camp, Loretta Chase and a new up and comer Kelli Daymor.

• How do people react when they find out you are an author?

Mostly the reception is good. I think people like knowing someone that has written a book. I know I like hanging out with people that write and read a lot. Unfortunately, there is still the stigma for romance writers, but I’m trying to dispel those little prejudices one by one.

• Do you like writing your hero or heroine better? Which POV do you prefer?

It seems that I do like writing the men more. I seem to click with them better and I’m a very alpha person myself so maybe that’s why.

• What is your perfect hero? Perfect heroine?

I’m pretty fond of Handsome Jack from The Sea Rose. He’s sarcastic and witty and HOT. As for heroines, the lady in my full length novel, Francesca, is a lot of fun and very plucky.

• Do you belong to any writer’s chapters or groups, like RWA?

I belong to RWA National and my local chapter, Saguaro Romance Writers. They are an unbelievably supportive group of writers – better than any other writer’s group I’ve ever belonged to before.

• Do you have any recommendations for aspiring writers?

I suggest that you listen to all advice given to you, take in as many lecturers as you can, read the books you want to write and then boil down that information to something that works for you. In the beginning, I took every single lecture to heart and went home like a maniac and started revising. Then the next piece of advice came along and I’d revise again, and again. It got to the point that I was slowly driving myself insane.

• How long did it take you from when you started writing to being published? From first submitting to being published?

I’ve been working on the novel that’s out with agents for 2 ½ years. The short stories were written and published within the year that I wrote them. But that’s not to say, they didn’t also get rejections. Just submit, submit submit.

• What do you think about the future of epublishing?

Epublishing is here to stay. And this from someone who collects books. We would all be ridiculously naïve to think we can ignore it like it’s a fad.

• Do you do research for your stories? If so, what kind?

I’m a research junkie. I do it all the time because I love it. On my blog – www.thequillsisters.com there are a bunch of links to really helpful period research. Also, I love to buy reference books. I have a ton of them on English Manor houses, Maps of London from the 1800’s, English Gardens, medieval life, a bunch of books on period clothes, and several on knights and armor, etc. My only real problem is getting side tracked with the research and going off on tangents. I now know all kinds of stupid things like when postage stamps came about, when barbed wire was invented, when they began measuring sound in decibels, if there were muffins in Regency England, and the advent of sugar cubes. My husband is hoping to get me on Jeopardy.

• Are you a plotter (plots and outlines) or a pantzer (by-the-seat-of-your-pants writer)? Why?

I’m a definite pantzer. I let the story come about very organically. And then after the first draft I go back and tighten up the story and make sure there is appropriate conflict and plot. It’s probably not the most efficient way but there it is – for better or worse.

• What is the best or worst writing advice you’ve ever received?

Submit submit submit. Ignore the generic refusals and take advice with a grain of salt.

• Do you use a pen name? Why or why not?

Sort of. I’ve combined my first and middle names into one name. Amy lynn to Amylynn.

• Is there a genre that you haven’t written that you would like to?

I have a story percolating that is very sci-fi/paranormal. I really haven’t ventured very far into that realm but I’m feeling myself drawn there.


Out of Heaven
By Amylynn Bright

Genre: Paranormal Romance
PUBLISHER: Keith Publications
ISBN: 978-1-936372-00-3

AUTHOR’S KP WEB PAGE: http://www.keithpublications.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=56:amy-bright&catid=40:amy-bright&Itemid=60

BUY LINKS: http://www.wickedinkpress.com/product_info.php?products_id=30&osCsid=37bba22722f845de0018e8de0db1a3c0

http://www.dinkwell.com/product_info.php?products_id=32

BLURB:

The Archangel Gabriel is going to Earth to win the woman he has loved for eons. He is confident that it won't be that difficult... but, he only has one day to meet her and make her fall in love with him. She's been hurt before and he finds that she's not exactly a pushover. And as if he needed a further challenge, there are mischievous demons trying to keep them apart.

EXCERPT:
The instant he left her, a screaming infant under the bright lights in a modern hospital room, he return and demanded an interview with Michael.

"I'm going. You know the love I have with her is different. One life is all I want. I have watched her leave me and return for eons, and this time I'm going whether you approve or not."

Michael studied Gabriel. "Oh Gabriel ….Why do you want to go?

Humans are only mortal. They are lesser beings than our kind."

"As you say," Gabriel nodded, "but, humans are also more than you give them credit for. Otherwise, she would not be compelled to return back there, especially not after the last horrid life. Why would a soul willfully return to pain unless the passion is more than you or I can imagine?"

Michael deliberated. Gabriel spoke with such ferocity, making it difficult not to consider his request and, being a warrior himself, Michael could appreciate his friend putting up a fight for what he wanted. Michael sat forward in his chair, steepled his fingers, and gazed at the other Archangel.

“What you ask is too dangerous, Gabriel.” Michael shook his head. “There’s no way to predict what could happen. Once they hear you’re down there . . . we couldn’t protect you.”

“I’m willing to accept the risk.”

“I’m glad to hear you are, but I’m not sure I want to accept the risks with you.”

Gabriel sighed in frustration. “Please allow me the chance. Just one life with her. I want to hold her with my arms and make love to her the way mortal men can."

After a long silence, Michael sat back in his chair, his polished armor gleaming in the ethereal light from the Astral Plane, and nodded. "One life. But, due to the risks, there will be rules and conditions."

"Anything."

"You have one earth cycle to entice the mortal woman to fall in love with you, true love. And you may not reveal your identity to her under any circumstances." Michael paused, probably for effect. He was not only the most powerful Archangel, but also the most dramatic. He stood and sheathed his massive sword. "If you fail, you will immediately return to the Akasha and there will be no other similar opportunity." His tone didn't allow for negotiation.

Only twenty-four hours. That amount of time would have to be enough time. "Thank you, Michael," he told the retreating warrior.

"God speed," Michael called over his shoulder. "And good luck."

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Great interview Amylynn. Seems we write with the same pattern. I don't plot much ahead either. I like when the characters take you along the story line. Good for you.
Good luck with the sales.