Monday, March 22, 2010

Interview with Author Chloe Waits

Please welcome my fellow Romance Writers Behaving Badly author, Chloe Waits, who's latest release was Flesh for Fantasy with Phaze.



• Tell me a little bit about yourself.

My name is Chloe Waits, and I write erotic romance in Toronto, Canada.
I’m published with Phaze.

• Do you use a pseudonym and if so, why?

I do use a pseudonym. Chloe Waits is not my real name! Lol. My name is unusual in terms of my last name. It just allows me a bit of privacy, since if I used it, anyone who saw my real name, would know it was me. Let’s face it, some people are conservative, and I respect that. That’s why I use a pseudonym. That said, I do have people know I am writing, and they are supportive.

Having a different name, especially if you write in more than one genre, is good because it can signal to the reader what to expect, as well.

• What genre do you write in? Why did you pick that genre?

I currently write erotic paranormal and contemporary romance. With paranormal, I can make my hero larger than life, which is very sexy. I also like, and can relate to, everyday occurrences, spliced in with a super hot hero that brings a fantasy element.

• What inspires you to write the type of stories that you write?

I love romance. I remember reading romance, dying, waiting for that love scene, sometimes buried far in the book. There is the anticipation of waiting for it. But I liked the idea of the couple having this intense physical chemistry, and enjoyed books that had more of that element, like Bertrice Small. You can still create anticipation in other ways with erotic romance, and that is what inspires me, trying to craft sexy scenes.

• How would you describe your writing style? Plotter or pantser? Why?

I’ve heard the word pantser before…meaning flying by the seat of my pants? I have some kind of plot when I go to write, BUT, I always find it evolves based on the characters. I get ideas as I write. So a bit of both?

• What is your favorite genre to READ?

I love romance; erotic,, chick lit, paranormal, contemporary, historical--I have even read sweet romance and enjoyed it. I also like to read thrillers too!

• Do you have a specific place where you like to write? When, during the day, is your most creative time?

At my computer, at the back of my apartment. The chair is comfy, and I tuck right in. I can spend hours without realizing it. I am a day person but with my shift work I can’t be. So afternoon and evening I guess.

• What’s your typical writing day?

Rolling out of bed, getting some tea and plopping myself in front of that computer.

• Do you have critique partners or beta readers? Why?

Nobody formal. I have author friends I have run stuff by. I am interested in a critique partner—I can put the call out here! Lol. Things got super busy with school but I am looking. I think another set of eyes is awesome.

• Who gives you the most support along in your writing?

My husband is very supportive. We both work and are in school. He is an artist, and I love his work. We both have to find time to balance life and our creative work and we both respect and support each other for it. He is my great inspiration as well.

My family is also supportive!

• Do you have another job (besides writing)? If so, what do you do?

I work as a nurse (what you would call a licensed practical nurse in the States) and I carry a full time course load for an English degree. Can you say busy? Lol.

• What’s your take on the future of ebooks and epublishing?

Epublishing is amazing. So many new books and new genres with relaxed rules have come out as a result. I don’t think we’ll ever lose print, but I think ebooks are getting more and more popular.

• Do you have a favorite quote -- yours or someone famous or even infamous?

I love a simple quote from Rocky Horror Picture Show – “Don’t Dream It, Be It”

• What’s your favorite food?

My favorite is Indian food, although I love Middle Eastern, Thai, Mexican, Ethiopian, on and on. My favorite Indian dish is Butter Chicken. Could you get more decadent? Just look at the name…yum!

• What’s your favorite movie? Why?

I love ‘Last of the Mohicans’. Absolute alpha male, played by Daniel Day-Lewis. Strong, honorable, brave, and totally loyal. Would die for love. Fave line: “Stay alive, I will find you”

'Four Weddings and Funeral’, for being romantic and super funny, was great too!

• Do you have a favorite book or author?

I loved ‘Skye O’Malley’ by Bertrice Small. I have many authors I love.

• Tell me about your latest or upcoming release?

My latest release is ‘Flesh for Fantasy,’ a contemporary erotic romance. I had a lot of fun writing this one. My heroine, Cynthia, is forced to support herself as a fantasy operator. It’s just a job to her. Until she meets a man who wants to know her fantasies. Suddenly things get very personal. And sexy. Wink.



• Do you have any releases scheduled for 2010?

Not yet, due to other commitments. I have been too busy but should be subbing by the summer at least.

• What’s your next project?

I have two WIPs I need to whip into shape: both paranormal; one a romance set in Ireland, and the other a shape shifter. Both promise to have a lot of heat!

• Where can readers find you on the web?

You can find me at my website: http://www.chloewaits.com/. I also have my own blog at http://chloewaits.blogspot.com/ and of course I am also at http://romancewritersbehavingbadly.blogspot.com/
with a bunch of multi-talented authors! We get into all kinds of mischief there!

1 comment:

Chloe Waits said...

Thanks for interviewing me today, Jeanne!