Friday, January 01, 2010

Recipe: Real Italian Lasagna


Growing up in an Italian household, lasagna was a staple. My paternal grandparents immigrated from Italy. So here I am sharing with you a super easy lasagna recipe passed down to me. It is MEATLESS. Yes, that is the real italian way. The meat should be on the side: meatballs, sausage, and braciole in the gravy (sauce).

My Family's Lasagna

*This recipe is best if done the day before. Lasagna is always better the second day.

You will need:

1 box (1 lb) of lasagna noodles
2 lbs Ricotta
Block of mozerella cheese, sliced or grated
Tomato sauce (meat flavored, if you like)
Parsley

Add 1 Tbs of olive oil to the water. Cook 1 lb box of noodles, drain. Rinse with cold water and lay them individually.

Using meat-flavored sauce, coat the bottom of a lasagna pan. Save the perfect noodles for last. Cross noodles, then lengthwise. Mix the ricotta, mozerella cheese, parsley and a spoonful of tomato sauce (just enough to make the mixture pink) in a bowl. Put the mixture on top, then layer with noodles, more ricotta mixture, etc. Use the perfect noodles for the top layer. Put sauce on top layer, making sure to cover all corners and edges. Sprinkle with grated cheese (parmesan). Bake for 375 degrees until it bubbles.

4 comments:

Cheryl Pierson said...

Jeanne,

This looks wonderful. Makes me want to run out and buy the stuff to make it tonight. I be I'm at the store in the morning, first thing! LOL I am not Italian, but lived for several years in WV where there were lots of Italian immigrants. Got used to eating GREAT Italian food there, and so when we moved back to Oklahoma (where I'm from) we got all kinds of good Mexican food, but NO ITALIAN. LOL (It's just the opposite out there in WV)Anyhow, I really miss it, and this looks very simple to do (just my kind of cooking). Thanks so much for sharing this! I can't wait to try it.
Cheryl

Jeanne St. James said...

After growing up eating Italian food, I avoid Italian restaurants. And, here's the kicker... I'm NOW allergic to dairy. So no cheese for me.

I've also made this for work and everyone LOVED it. At first they were skeptical...They said WHAT, no meat??? I said no, meat is on the side.

Lasagna is such a comfort food.

Hailey Edwards said...

This looks great, Jeanne. I like to make lasagna rolls.

(Smoothing the cheese mixture on the noodles, rolling them up, then covering them with sauce.)

I'll use your recipe the next time it pops up on the menu.

Happy New Years!

Cheryl Pierson said...

jeanne,

I made your lasagne tonight with some garlic bread, and it was a wonderful hit. Gary and I loved it. Thanks so much for sharing your recipe!
Cheryl