Friday, February 11, 2011

Interview with Author Stacey Kennedy

Please welcome author Stacey Kennedy, who has a new release out TODAY! And come back tomorrow to learn more about another one of her great books!

• Tell me a little bit about yourself.

My journey as a writer began as a way to keep my brain alive since being a stay at home mom can be a little let’s say numbing. It was an escape from screaming kids, dirty diapers and plain old mom duty.

It started as a hobby, but as the stories progressed it became a passion. Now, I indulge at nap time, especially the juicy bits! Every mom needs a good thrill!

• Do you use a pseudonym and if so, why?

Nope, Stacey Kennedy is actually my real name. When it came down to it, I just had no idea what to call myself. And truthfully, I thought it was so strange that my readers would be calling me by a name that wasn’t mine. It just never felt right to me.

• What genre do you write in? Why did you pick that genre?

I write Urban Fantasy Romance and Paranormal Erotic Romance. Why? Well… because I love supernaturals. Not just the sexy vampires, or the powerful werewolves, but I love the magical element. My stories are always fast paced tales that have some adventure and danger involved. And of course passion is always guaranteed.

• What inspires you to write the type of stories that you write?

Truthfully, I’ve never attempted to write outside of these genres and I can’t see myself trying anytime soon. I love urban fantasy/paranormal romance. I think what inspires me the most is the world-building. To create a place that is all yours, is a pretty neat thing to do.

The inspiration comes from real characters. I love women who would be just like you and me. Who are thrown into these crazy dangerous situations and watching them somehow try to get out of it alive. I love emotion in books, and therefore, my work tends to have a lot of it…add in sexy scenes, and that is all the inspiration I need.

• How would you describe your writing style? Plotter or pantser? Why?

Pantser all the way!! I tried my hand at plotting, but it is pointless. The story always goes in another direction once I start writing it. Needless to say I gave up trying to fight against it and now just let the characters lead the way. It makes for tough edits when I’m done trying to make sure it all makes sense …but somehow, it all works out in the end.

• What is your favorite genre to READ?

Um…urban fantasy and paranormal romance of course!!

• Do you have a specific place where you like to write? When, during the day, is your most creative time?

On the couch surrounded by my quilt! If it was my choice I would write in the afternoon. It’s when I’m most productive. But…I have two small children. One is in school all day. The other is gone three times a week during the morning. So, I take those nine hours a week and write as much as I can in that time.

• What’s your typical writing day?

It’s really quite simple. I make a coffee, I make sure there is no noise around me, I curl up on the couch and then write. That’s it…that’s all! In a good day, I can get out about three thousand words in one sitting. But like I said, mornings are not the best time for me…so it usually takes me a good hour, a few gulps of coffee to get my butt in gear.

• Do you have critique partners or beta readers? Why?

Yes, I have an awesome critique partner who I mesh with really well. I actually don’t have beta readers. Why? Well…that’s because I’m a really sensitive person. I can’t take too many people critiquing the story or I’ll start to doubt it. So, I let my critique partner have a go at it, then I edit the heck out of it when she sends it back, and then it’s off to the publisher. It’s a partnership that I love and I couldn’t ask for a better critique partner.

• Who give you the most support along in your writing?

The readers without a doubt. Every time I get an email where a reader gushes over my story, it gives me the confidence to write more. I swear my most loyal readers have more confidence in me than I do in myself. I can only hope that I keep making them proud and they continue to enjoy my stories.

• Do you have another job (besides writing)? If so, what do you do?

I’m a stay at home Mom. That’s been my life for the past five years now and I love it. I’ve enjoyed spending so much time with my children and watching them grow. It’s going to be a big shock to the system when my youngest goes off to school in September full time. But I can’t deny I’m not excited for all the writing time that will allow me.

I do also have a part-time job at a children’s clothing store. Truthfully, I needed to get out of the house after I had kids. Let’s just leave it at…I was lonely. The kiddies are great, but I needed some adult conversation to keep me sane. So, I do that two days a week in the evening. I really love it and all the fantastic women I work with. It’s a good and healthy thing to get out of the house once in a while.

• What’s your take on the future of ebooks and epublishing?

Hmmm….my take is it’s going to flourish. I think that has already been proven. I stopped reading paperbacks a while ago…and my Kobo has become my new best friend. So, for me, ebooks simply ROCK!

• Do you have a favorite quote -- yours or someone famous or even infamous?

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." Dr. Seuss

"Beginnings are scary endings are usually sad but it's the middle that counts the most." Hope Floats Movie

• What’s your favorite food?

Anything that is horribly bad for me―chocolate and me just get along really well!

• What’s your favorite movie? Why?

All time favourite movie is The Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood. Combine a story of one woman’s life, the healing of hearts, the joining of women and a romance in there too… and I’m a sucker!

• Do you have a favorite book or author?

Katie MacAllister and Jeaniene Frost are by far my two favourite authors. I have a real big thing for stories told in the first person and where the hero and heroine stay in love throughout the entire series. I’m not a huge fan of drama and if I’m not given a happy ending, I’m grumpy.

• Tell me about your latest or upcoming release?

My latest release came out today. Here is a little about it:



Whispers of Evil – The Watchers Book Two (Cobblestone Press)

Nayeli has been locked away, hidden from the world in a mental institution, all due to the whispers of evil which have corrupted her mind. Unbeknownst to her, the voices that have plagued her are a gift given to only one kind―Watchers.

Griffin, her Seeker, is about to break this cage of imprisonment woven around her and give her a new chance at life. But when a demon leaves the confines of Hell to create havoc in Louisiana, will his love for Nayeli free her wounded heart, or will she succumb to the whispers which threaten to steal her soul?

*WARNING: Explicit sex between a timid Watcher and a gorgeous Seeker, and a ceremony that will certainly raise eyebrows!

BUY LINK - http://www.staceykennedy.com/books/erotic-romances/the-watchers-series/whispers-of-evil/

• Do you have any releases scheduled for 2011?

I’ve got a co-authored story with Sara Brookes that I’m presently working on. It’s a paranormal romance and is going to be fantastic! Hopefully, we’ll get this one wrapped up soon and off to submission.

I’m also going to be part of a paranormal erotic anthology with Keta Diablo, Amber Scott and Elise Hepner. So keep an eye out for that…it’s very exciting!

My urban fantasy romance, Stolen Dreams, The Lingering Spirit Book One, I’ve decided to go indie with…so wish me luck!!

Basically I have a release slated for every month until May. Needless to say, there will be lots of books to continue on with my all of series, and maybe a few single titles squeezed in there too.

• What’s your next project?

Right now, I’m working on the third Watchers book. I’ve been dying to write this story since I began The Watchers series, so I’m very eager to dig in and write Tate’s story.

• Where can readers find you on the web?

You can find me here:

Website – http://www.staceykennedy.com/
Facebook - http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/profile.php?id=100000956942180
Goodreads - http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/3473046.Stacey_Kennedy
Twitter – http://twitter.com/Stacey_Kennedy

No comments: