Please welcome my fellow Liquid Silver Book author, Sherri Desbois, who recently had a new book come out... HALF HEARTS!
• Tell me a little bit about yourself. Let’s see. I’m married. Between my husband and me we have the Brady Bunch. Three boys and three girls. Our life is never dull with three teenage girls in the house. And yes before you ask we are completely insane and wouldn’t have it any other way. I never read fiction until my daughter forced me to take her to see a sparkling vampire and the rest as they say is history. I came home from the theater started reading Twilight. Finished all four in the first week then moved on to more adult themed books. I got this crazy idea to sit down and try to write my own novel and I’m happy to say, the challenge I set out for myself paid off and Half Hearts was published. It’s kind of like a Cinderella story. I’m just keeping my fingers crossed that the clock doesn’t hit midnight anytime soon and I turn into a pumpkin.
• Do you use a pseudonym and if so, why? No Sherri Desbois is in fact my real name. Knowing what I know now, I wish I would have used one.
• What genre do you write in? Why did you pick that genre? I write contemporary erotic romance. I’m not sure I picked this genre; it kind of picked me for this first book. I have 2 more contemporary works in progress. Once they are finished I think I would like to try historical Romance.
• What inspires you to write the type of stories that you write? I write about fantasies and I plead the fifth as to whose fantasies they are.
• How would you describe your writing style? Plotter or pantser? Why? Well, I’m not really sure what my style is since I don’t have much experience with writing yet. I do tend to sit around and think about my characters. Coming up with their life histories. I come up with a rough idea of what I want the story to be about then sit down and let the characters tell me their story. It’s interesting that Half Hearts went places and ended up completely different from where I first thought it would. Is that a pantser? I ask because I have no idea what that word means. LOL
• What is your favorite genre to READ? Romance. Doesn’t matter if it’s paranormal, contemporary or historical. I like emotional stories. I want to be invested in the characters whether it’s anger, sadness or happiness I want to be there with them on their journey.
• Do you have a specific place where you like to write? When, during the day, is your most creative time? I have a home office in my basement that’s decked out just for me with all my favorite things. I do most of my writing there. In the summer I tend to take my lap top out to the back porch and do my writing from there. My most creative time is either early in the morning before everyone gets up or late at night when everyone is either being quiet or sleeping. I’m not sure how other people do it, but I can’t write with a lot of noise. Can’t listen to music unless it’s classical.
• What’s your typical writing day? Normally I write a couple hours every day. Though lately I’ve been getting up early. Like 3-4A kind of early. I normally check my email and social networks than try to spend most of the day writing. I have a big family so I try to get most of it done before they get home. That doesn’t always work. Right now I’m putting in 10-12 hours a day writing.
• Do you have critique partners or beta readers? Why? I do. I found a thread at Liquid Silver about critique partners. I had no clue what that meant but it sounded like a good idea. I posted my name on the site and another author emailed me. She has been a huge help navigating my way around this crazy world of publishing, promoting and writing.
• Who give you the most support along in your writing? My husband for sure. He has encouraged me every step of the way and though he has never read any of my stories other than a paragraph here and there, he’s my biggest fan.
• Do you have another job (besides writing)? If so, what do you do? I worked in the medical field up until recently. I also have a degree in History. Though recently I’ve decided to take some time off work and concentrate on my writing for a bit. I told you my hubby was my biggest fan.
• What’s your take on the future of ebooks and epublishing? I think it’s the way of the future. I read almost everything in ebook form. I have a few books I still buy in print but those are manly my historical text and biographies of historical figures.
• Do you have a favorite quote -- yours or someone famous or even infamous? “Imagination is more important than knowledge.” Albert Einstein or one that is probably closer to my truth. “I'll try anything once, twice if I like it, three times to make sure.” Mae West
• What’s your favorite food? Cheese cake. Especially from Park Avenue Cheese Cake. Though they stopped making my favorite cheese cake balls so I’m a little pissy about that.
• What’s your favorite movie? Why? I don’t really watch very many movies. Not a TV watcher either unless it’s on the history channel or Discovery. So ummm I’m gonna say It’s a Wonderful Life, since I watch it every year while decorating for Christmas
• Do you have a favorite book or author? J.R. Ward – Black Dagger Brotherhood or Midnight Kiss series by Lara Adrian. I just started reading fiction a couple of years ago so I’m open to suggestions to help find new authors to read.
• Tell me about your latest or upcoming release? Half Hearts was just released January 10th, 2011 from Liquid Silver Books. It’s my very first attempt at writing and I’m so proud of it. It’s the story of Charlie, Kegan and Trevor. Three broken people who are trying to find love. It’s a steamy ménage story but I tried to bring out all the other emotions too. Anger, pain, frustration, happiness as well as sadness. I think it’s important to get readers emotionally involved in a story. I just received my first review from The Romance reviews and the reviewer said: “I feel like I've died and gone to heaven. And that's how I would describe the experience I had reading HALF HEARTS by Sherri Desbois...heavenly.”
• Do you have any releases scheduled for 2011? Right now I only have Half Hearts that was just released this year. I’m keeping my fingers crossed that I’ll have at least one more.
• What’s your next project? I’ve just completed another contemporary erotic ménage story. I’m also about 75% done with a story but that one is a secret until I submit it. Shhhhhh.
• Where can readers find you on the web?
I can also be found on Goodreads and Facebook under Sherri Desbois