Saturday, June 26, 2010

Interview with Author BRINDLE CHASE

Please welcome my fellow Loose Id author, Brindle Chase!

• Tell me a little bit about yourself.

Don’t let the name fool you. I’m a dad, a brother, a husband and a wild and crazy guy.

• Do you use a pseudonym and if so, why?

I work for a fortune 500 financial company for my day job. Given the erotic overtones of my writing, I felt it best to disassociate my real persona from my alter ego.

• What genre do you write in? Why did you pick that genre?

I write in many genres, but have been concentrating on Paranormal Erotic Romance. I hadn’t read much in that genre, but it spoke to me. I find it provides an outlet for voids within my personal life that other genres couldn’t fill.

• What inspires you to write the type of stories that you write?

My muse is fickle and chaotic. My inspiration comes from tiny scenes that float into my head. That one scene becomes a full length story later, but my muse always gives me just enough to set a fire under me and write. Music can trigger it. A real life situation. Something I see from the bus commuting home. Anything can spark my muse’s interest.

• How would you describe your writing style? Plotter or pantser? Why?

I tend to be more of a plotter. I rough draft my stories in skeletal form, and then flesh them out later if I still like the story after the draft.

• What is your favorite genre to READ?

I’d say Paranormal anything. *lol* My favorite books have been Fantasys, but ironically, I don’t follow the genre very closely. I like Urban Fantasy as well.

• Do you have a specific place where you like to write? When, during the day, is your most creative time?

I write on a sky bridge on a skyscraper. Its where I work, so I write for a half hour before my day shift begins and then again on my lunch break. Guess where I’m at? On the sky bridge. *lol*

• What’s your typical writing day?

Monday through Friday. Every single workweek day, unless I’m on vacation. Occasionally I will write at home, but there is usually too much going on there for me to concentrate.

• Do you have critique partners or beta readers? Why?

Absolutely! I would never have polished a story enough to become published if I hadn’t. I recommend it to anyone trying to break into the professional scene. I will probably always use beta readers. Their insight is invaluable and they find or point out things I just can’t see for myself. I get too close to my writing to see some of its impact to a reader.

• Who give you the most support along in your writing?

My writing buddies. They cheer me on, offer up tips and ask the same of me. Several of them are published too. I’ve been very blessed.

• Do you have another job (besides writing)? If so, what do you do?

Yes, as mentioned above. I work for a very large financial institution that shall remain nameless. I’m not sure they would like people to know an erotic romance author works for them.

• What’s your take on the future of ebooks and epublishing?

It is the future. Embrace it or get run over. The industry is still trying to figure out how its all going to work, but they do understand it is the wave. I will miss holding a book in my hand, but I think with the POD technologies out there, us old school readers can still get our hands on a nice paperback. There is one facet I don’t think is going to pan out, and that is the injection of motion picture and pictures and music into ebooks. As a reader, I don’t want someone else to envision the scene I am reading. I want my imagination to paint the picture and the words to guide me. I can see it working for graphic novels, or maybe children’s books, but not general fiction.

• Do you have a favorite quote -- yours or someone famous or even infamous?

“Don’t harsh my gig, buuuud-dee” - Pauly Shore

• What’s your favorite food?

Seafood Alfredo Fettuccini

• What’s your favorite movie? Why?

Saving Private Ryan. Ever since I was a little boy, I had a fascination for World War II. SPR is the most authentic movie I’ve seen yet. The characters were vibrant and even Tom Hanks played a realistic soldier. (I still see him as the guy in Bosom Buddies)

• Do you have a favorite book or author?

Yendi by Steven Brust is my favorite book of all time. It’s a fast paced read, but the main character is awesome! My favorite author would be hard to pin on just one. I’d say at this moment, J.R Ward is my fav.

• Tell me about your latest or upcoming release?

Gothic City Lights just released with Loose Id. This is my debut novel! Here’s a blurb:

It was just a fling. Lilith Templeton had no clue he was a human agent working for the angels. No big deal, but she got caught and Mother Superior, Portland’s most powerful angel, wants penance. Or death, Lilith’s choice. Being a lowly half-demon and therefore not a participant in the never-ending war for souls, she knows it's insane to cross the full-blood demons like Mother Superior wants. But opting out isn't an option: do or die. For additional penance, she's paired with an angel who not only ignites her lust but something more. Lilith wants to fall in love, to know what it was like to share herself with just one man. Yet since succubi needed to stay sexually satisfied, falling in love with the angel of chastity is a mistake she can’t afford.

Gabriel would have never second-guessed his choice to ascend through the virtue of chastity. Until he meets Lilith. Now, his ascension would be forfeit if he cannot vanquish his need for her. Having no choice but to ignore the fire burning inside them, they work towards tempting the demon cult’s human leader into revealing the hideout. Lilith, sexually irresistible half-succubus, is the perfect bait. Get in, send the signal and wait for the angel to rescue her. Oh and not get killed, or tempt the angel. Simple, right?


• Do you have any releases scheduled for 2010?

The Grass is Always Greener, a contemporary erotic romance, releases August 13th with Breathless Press
Diva-licious, a contemporary erotic romance, releases Fall, 2010 with The Wild Rose Press.
That One Night in Vegas (a free read) is being translated to Spanish and will release as a Spanish free read, later this summer.

• What’s your next project?

I am currently working on a sequel of sorts to Gothic City Lights. Same universe, but is the story of the angel Helena. She is tasked with tracking down a demon assassin and runs into a human demon hunter who is after the same demon. They spend a lot of time getting in each other’s way before admitting they have a wild unexplainable attraction to one another.

• Where can readers find you on the web?

I’m on facebook (www.facebook.com/brindle.chase), blogspot (http://brindlechase.blogspot.com/) and my main website is http://www.forlorn-hope.net/.




Excerpt:

Another long silence set in, and Lilith couldn’t stand the suspense. It was as if the air between them had thickened into an impenetrable wall.

Her breaths were ragged, and she felt like she was suffocating waiting for his reaction. Waiting for his complete and utter revulsion.

“Tell me you understand.” Her throat was dry and hoarse. She kept her gaze out the window, unable to face him, unwilling to see the loathing ooze from his eyes.

“Lil—” His voice started with reproach, and she was ready and snarled as she cut him off.

“Go on. You can say it.”

“I don’t understand.”

“Don’t understand what?

“How you can just give yourself to people. Just anyone.”

“It’s a fucking curse. I can’t help it. And I don’t give myself to just anyone.”

“It all seems pretty darned convenient,” he said, his tone not only coming with an edge, but now also an undertone of condemnation.

“What’s that supposed to mean?”

“You want sex, you feel the lure of lust, and you offer up your demonic sin as an excuse to jump whoever catches your fancy.” He cranked the wheel hard and turned the car down another side street in an ongoing series of double backs and crisscrosses throughout the downtown sector. Anyone following had long been lost. Lilith couldn’t care less.

“You motherfucker!” she cried. She had been called many things, but coming from him, it stung horribly. Flying at him forced him to use a hand to grapple with her as she flailed her fists against him.

He jerked the wheel against the curve of the road as his fingers wrapped about one of her wrists, barely managing to keep her at bay and maneuver the car into a parking garage. The Jaguar crashed through the wooden barrier meant to force one to purchase a ticket and then skidded sideways as Gabriel slammed on the brakes.

3 comments:

Brindle Chase said...

Thank you Jeanne, for having me here today! You had some great questions. I'll be about if anyone has more!. *lol*

Jessica Lee said...

Great interview, Brindle! Welcome to the LI family. Your excerpt sounds great, and I can't wait to read more. Good luck with your other upcoming releases!

Kayelle Allen said...

I liked your interview. Learned a little more about you. The human side of the writing - the other side of the book - is fascinating to me. I like knowing who is behind the creatures and people in the books I read.