Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Interview with Author Viki Lyn

Please welcome my fellow Loose Id author, Viki Lyn today!

• Tell me a little bit about yourself.

I'm Viki Lyn, author of three (going on four) published M/M romances - contemporary and paranormal. I have been writing for ten years and about a year and half ago I 'd decided to challenge myself and switch genres from historical to paranormal and gay fiction. So far, it's been a fun ride!

• Do you use a pseudonym and if so, why?

Under my regular name I wrote historical romances - sensuous and straight stuff. When I decided to write gay romance, I thought it'd be best to use a pen name so as not too confuse my readers ;o or myself.

• What genre do you write in? Why did you pick that genre?

Under Viki Lyn I write paranormal and contemporary M/M romance. There's just something incredibly hot writing about two men. Even in my historicals, my male characters were always more complex and interesting to write.

• What inspires you to write the type of stories that you write?

I love reading GLBT fiction - and love writing it. I'm inspired by love stories in general. When I write paranormal, I use a lot of mythology and ancient historical references. I'm inspired by ancient sites.

• How would you describe your writing style? Plotter or pantser? Why?

I'm a panser that turns into a plotter after I write the first third of the book! I have a difficult time plotting chapter by chapter.

• What is your favorite genre to READ?

By far, murder mysteries!

• Do you have a specific place where you like to write? When, during the day, is your most creative time?

I have a favorite neighborhood coffee house where I go to write. I'm an extrovert in that I get energy from being around people. I have switched my creative writing time from morning to afternoon, and more rarely, evenings.

• What’s your typical writing day?

I don't have typical day, but I tend to focus on business and marketing in the morning. Writing in the afternoon.

• Do you have critique partners or beta readers? Why?

Yes, I have a couple of cp's for plotting, characterization and pacing. It really helps to have writing partners where you can brainstorm and commiserate as well! It's what keeps me going..

• Who give you the most support along in your writing?

My husband and family (sisters) and friends. Just about everyone in my life is very supportive.

• Do you have another job (besides writing)? If so, what do you do?

No, I'm lucky not to have a day job.

• What’s your take on the future of ebooks and epublishing?

I see a robust and healthy future for epubs and ebooks but a real shake down in the traditional publishing field. I just hope the Big Guys don't try to monopolize!

• Do you have a favorite quote -- yours or someone famous or even infamous?

Whatever you can do, or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

• What’s your favorite food?

Right at this moment, Thai food. I love all Asian cuisine.

• What’s your favorite movie? Why?

Something's Gotta Give with Diane Keaton. I just love the older woman love story and the dialogue was so spot on!

• Do you have a favorite book or author?

I don't have a favorite book because I read so many great books by wonderful authors, and my favorites change with my mood.

• Tell me about your latest or upcoming release?

My current release is a vampire m/m romance titled Last Chance. It's published by Loose Id.

• Do you have any releases scheduled for 2010?

I have a new contemporary m/m romance coming out March 26 - Ryan's Harbor - with Aspen Mountain Press:

The boys of Woodland Village are back. This time it's Drew's brother, Ryan
Adams, that's going through a crisis of doubt. He's always been the guy who breezed through relationships, never getting serious with the women he dates. He doesn't know why, but one-night stands and pretty women don't seem to give him that buzz that it once did.

Then one night, at his brother's barbecue, he encounters Drew's assistant, Martin Pierson. Martin is hired to design Ryan's new building for his gaming company - Fantasy Arts. As they spend time together in and out of the office, their working relationship grows into friendship. But can they cross the barrier into love?

• What’s your next project?

I'm writing the sequel to Last Chance. This story focuses more on the kresnik and vampire worlds I've created in my first book. I'm about two thirds finished with my first draft.

• Where can readers find you on the web?

My website is a good place to start: http://www.vikilyn.com/



Can a seriously smart almost-vampire find love with a seriously sexy jock bent on stripping him of his polo shirt and his secret? Born enemies, their need for each other fuels a heated attraction they can't ignore.

Excerpt: Last Chance, Viki Lyn, copyright 2010

“Hey, look out!”

Aric Christian looked up, but not fast enough.

Boink!

A bullet of pain shot between his eyebrows, and his hands flew to his head. He didn’t catch his fall; instead his body crumpled, his vision blurring, white pages raining down on him. Grumbling under his breath, he found himself on the ground, his ears ringing and his sunglasses half twisted off his face.

As his vision cleared, a blond Apollo came into view holding a…football?

“Hey, are you okay?” A broad hand pressed against his forehead.

Aric looked up, ready to complain, but gaped instead, his mouth flapping like a fish tail. He leaned back on his elbows and groaned.

The god hovering over him pushed down on his shoulder. “Hey, you better lay there for a sec. You really got pinged.”

Pinged? What kind of word is that?

Yet the guy was even more good-looking up close, and he smelled nice. Blond bangs fringed china blue eyes, and his lashes were made even more golden by the sunlight. Concern was evident in the downturn of his well-shaped mouth, a kind expression that made him seem generous.

“Hey, do you know your name? Where you are?”

Aric forced himself to look away from those startling blue eyes. By the look of this guy’s powerfully built physique, he had to be a jock. And even with Aric’s limited experience, he knew jocks weren’t the sharpest pencils in the pack. He liked a guy who had some brains, and this one’s vocabulary told Aric he didn’t have too much going on upstairs. Aric swatted the dude’s hand away, then ripped off his damaged sunglasses and waved them in the guy’s face. Showing anger was better than showing any kind of attraction.
That would be too humiliating. “These cost a fortune.”

That generous mouth now quirked up into a smile, making him appear not the least bit regretful. “Sorry, but you walked right between us.”

“You hit me with your fucking football, and you say it’s my fault?” Aric snapped. Then he gasped, eyeing his lab notes sailing across the glade. His stomach plummeted at the sight of all his hard work flying into oblivion. All his sexual attraction hurtled from his mind as he scrambled to his knees. “My papers!”

Another powerful shove on his shoulder and Aric plopped back down onto the grass.

“Stay put; I’ll get them.”

Aric watched in fascination as the god dodged flying Frisbees and leaped around barking dogs and students reading on the lawn, scooping the papers into his hands. His graceful movements reminded Aric of someone; he’d seen those moves before… Oh fuck! That jock happened to be the big man on campus and a Heisman Trophy candidate.

Stu Hamilton, the university football team’s wide receiver, certainly could move.
Aric stared at the rounded ass flexing so deliciously in snug jeans. A faded black T-shirt barely held in straining biceps and a well-defined chest. All lean, mean, and muscular. His mouth watered at the sight, and a spasm rippled across his groin.

He had one hell of a hard-on.

Not good. No, not good at all.

It had been too long since he had a guy in his bed, and this was too damn embarrassing. Besides, he had enough on his mind without thinking about sex. He pulled out his half-rumpled shirt and covered his bulge.

Aric half crawled toward the grassy area shaded by the overhead palm fronds. He rose and, still wobbly, leaned against the trunk for support. He took in a few deep breaths and tugged down the hem of his shirt. Stu Hamilton would consider him to be on the lowest level of the food chain -- most likely a cockroach. The dude was straight and a magnet for every available bimbo on campus. His reputation with girls was as widespread as his sterling reputation as a football player.

Stu approached, all smiles, holding the pile of Aric’s hard-earned work. Once Stu got close, the heat radiating off that sculpted body enhanced his true scent. Aric’s acute sense of smell dissected the layers of crisp notes: musk and vanilla with undertones of aromatic spice, all hidden beneath a layer of pure male sweat. It bothered him how much detail he could discern with just his nose, something he wouldn’t have been able to do just a few months ago.

“Here you go. I think that’s all of them.”

Aric blinked back to reality.

Stu handed him the unruly pile with a blinding smile. “I’m really sorry. I hope you didn’t lose anything.”

“Just a few brain cells,” Aric grumbled, rubbing the swelling on his forehead, the lump growing bigger by the second.

Stu scratched his head and pointed to the papers. “From the looks of what’s written there, I’d say you can afford to lose a few.” Then he laughed, a clear rumble deep within his chest.

Aric’s cheeks flushed at the sight of that nice, solid chest.

Stu reached out to touch Aric’s forehead. “Wow, looks like you’re going to have one big goose egg.”

Aric flinched. “Don’t… I don’t like to be touched.”

Pulling his hand away, Stu narrowed his eyes but kept his winning smile plastered on his face. “Sorry.” He shrugged but didn’t move away. “I’m Stu, by the way.”

Aric lowered his lashes, avoiding that probing gaze. He tugged at the end of his braid, flipping the tail back and forth. Jocks made him nervous and jumpy and stupid. He’d been bullied enough in high school. The memories of being pinned against his locker by their large, hard bodies, his body reacting to all that muscle and heated anger, came rushing back to him.

“Yeah, I know who you are,” he replied, his voice tight.

Aric tried to sidestep away, but Stu stepped into his space, effectively blocking his way. He held his breath while staring into those too-blue eyes, willing his heart to slow down. But sparks of tension blew apart all thoughts in his head. This guy was standing too close, his size too imposing. Feeling trapped like an animal, he didn’t move a muscle.

Buy link: http://www.loose-id.com/Last-Chance.aspx

1 comment:

Viki Lyn said...

Jeanne, thanks for having me here today! I will check in throughout the day and answer questions your readers might have! Viki Lyn