13 Reasons to Eat More Chocolate:
Valentine's Day is just around the corner. Here's reasons why you shouldn't feel guilty when you eat that box of chocolate you get as a gift...
1. Chocolate is loaded with antioxidant polyphenols. These are those same compounds found in red wine, fruits and vegetables that are touted for their heart-healthy and other disease-preventing qualities.
2. Chocolate is a natural drug. It has been found to contain chemical compounds that stimulate the same receptor sites in the brain as marijuana. (though you'd have to eat WAY too much to get the effect)
3. Chocolate reduces high blood pressure. The flavonoids in cocoa (procyanids) help balance blood pressure and reduce blood clotting.
4. Chocolate can boost your mood. MSNBC reported that caffeine and other chemicals in dark chocolate can improve your mood and ease premenstrual symptoms.
5. Chocolate raises HDL cholesterol and lowers LDL cholesterol. Although the cocoa butter in chocolate is high in saturated fat, a third of that fat comes from stearic acid, which doesn't raise LDL (the bad cholesterol) and instead is converted in the liver to oleic acid, a heart-healthy fat.
6. Chocolate helps ease chronic fatigue syndrome. A study found that adults with chronic fatigue syndrome who eat 1.5 ounces of 85% cocoa dark chocolate were less fatigued after they eat chocolate.
7. Because chocoloate tastes good. No study needed!
8. Chocolate helps me from killing someone when I have PMS.
9. Chocolate contains potassium, magnesium and calcium.
10. Chocolate, particularly dark chocolate and cocoa, contain antioxidants that may help reduce the risk of heart disease.
11. Chocolate may help kick a cough. Theobromine, a chemical in chocolate, is as effective at soothing coughs as codeine, a key ingredient in many prescription meds.
12. Chocolate will help fight cavities. (Believe it or not!) Theobromine may also strengthen teeth better than fluoride, according to Tulane University researchers
13. Finally, chocolate releases the same chemical in our bodies as when we fall in love. Maybe that's why it's given for Valentine's Day!
Ok, did I give you enough excuses to indulge in eating that heavenly candy? Now, what's your favorite type of chocolate. I love Hershey Kisses. How about you?
The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others’ comments. It’s easy, and fun!
Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!View More Thursday Thirteen Participants