Sunday, January 24, 2010

Interview with Guest Author Sapphire Phelan!

Please welcome my fellow Phaze author Sapphire Phelan!




Tell me a little bit about yourself.

I write as Pamela K. Kinney for nonfiction ghost books, horror, scifi, fantasy, poetry and articles, but under the pseudonym, Sapphire Phelan write erotic and sweet paranormal, fantasy, scifi romance and erotic urban fantasy. I even have couple erotic horror stories written as Sapphire. I am happily married since 1977, have an adult son and am owned by two cats, Bast and Ripley. I make and wear costumes, which I do at scifi conventions with my husband. I also have done acting on stage and in films, though not as often past three years, except for doing the voice of a robot in an erotic scifi podcast.

Do you use a pseudonym and if so, why?

Yes, Sapphire Phelan is a pseudonym. Originally for erotic romances, but now for sweet romances I have occasionally written.

What genre do you write in? Why did you pick that genre?

Mainly paranormal romance, though I did published one sweet historical romance story in a romance ezine in 2007. I enjoy reading the genre, hence writing it.

How would you describe your writing style? Plotter or pantser? Why?

Pantser. Because the stories go from begging to end in my mind. Was like that in school—always added the outline afterwards.

What is your favorite genre to READ?

Horror, urban fantasy, fantasy, science fiction, paranormal romance, some historical romance, and nonfiction paranormal books. I also enjoy some mysteries.

Do you have a specific place where you like to write? When, during the day, is your most creative time?

During the daytime, during the week is the best. I don’t work outside of the home, so this is my job. But I have written on weekends and at night, when something is needed to be finished.

Do you have critique partners or beta readers? Why?

I have a writing group that I have been with for ages. They’re the best I have found. I also have a critique partner gotten through my RWA chapter. She used to edit for Phaze so I know she can handle my erotic stories, while my writer’s group can handle what else I also write.

Who give you the most support along in your writing?

My family. Without my own hero, my husband, letting me do this, I might not have started back to writing back in 2000, along with taking a chance to do some acting.

What’s your take on the future of ebooks and epublishing?

I think that eBooks will be up there with print. I don’t believe print will go away, but both will be on equal terms. More and more times are changing and epublishing is coming into its own.

Do you have a favorite quote -- yours or someone famous or even infamous?

Mine: A story is the window of the soul of the author.

What’s your favorite food?

I lived both Mexican and Asian—especially Japanese and Sushi. I also love chicken and dumplings.

What’s your favorite movie? Why?

The Haunting (1963), Star Wars: Empire Strikes Back, all three LOTR films, American Werewolf in London—actually there’s a few more, but this will be enough.

Do you have a favorite book or author?

More than one fave: The Haunting of Hill House by Shirley Jackson, Something Wicked This Way Comes and Illustrated Man by Ray Bradbury, Edgar Allan Poe, H. P. Lovecraft, Victoria Holt, Jim Butcher, and many more.

Tell me about your latest or upcoming release?

This spring, I will have an erotic paranormal romance, Ain’t Nothin’ Like Succubus Lovin’ coming from Phaze Books. It is one full of humor—quirky as my editor has called it.

What’s your next project?

I am working on a sequel to Being Familiar With a Witch and second book in then Beast Magic series.

Where can readers find you on the web?

http://fantasticdreams.50megs.com/ (my website for both sapphire Phelan and Pamela K Kinney)
www.myspace.com/SapphirePhelan
http://sapphirephelanspassioncorner.blogspot.com/
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SapphirePhelansParanormalNewsletter
http://twitter.com/SapphirePhelan
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Sapphire-Phelan/324399690647

Sapphire Phelan is an author of erotic and sweet paranormal, fantasy, and science fiction romance, along with a couple of erotic horror stories. One of them, Being Familiar With a Witch just made EPIC Awards 2010 finalist. She also writes as Pamela K. Kinney, for horror, fantasy, science fiction, and two nonfiction ghost books, Haunted Richmond, Virginia and Haunted Virginia: Legends, Myths and True Tales. She lives in Virginia with her husband and two cats, Ripley and Bast.

She admits she can always be found at her desk and on her computer, writing. And yes, the house and husband sometimes suffers for it!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the interview, Jeanne.

Chloe Waits said...

Hey Sapphire, (and Jeanne!)

Wonderful interview. I had no idea you were a Victoria Holt fan like me.
Chloe

Anonymous said...

Oh, yeah, Gfrew up reading her. First one was Mistress of Mellyn I checked out of the school library when I was in 7th grade.
I miss those gothic romances--though guess paranormals are the replacements. :)

hotcha12 said...

HI KAYELLE AND EVERYONE! OH MY STARS BUT I GOTTA WHINE TO MY SCROOGE DH! LOL WONDERFUL INTERVIEW AND I LOVE MEXICAN BUT IT DOES NOT LIKE ME!! LOL

HOTCHA