Tuesday, September 01, 2009

The Ins and Outs Of Multicultural Romance Dirty Style!

Get your minds out of the gutters! I was asked by your fab blog goddess Jeanne St. James to do a blog entry on the ins and outs of the multicultural genre. Before I start a little about me:


My name is Diamond Taylor and I’m an erotica author of African American/Multicultural romance. I’ve been writing for over eight years and recently released my first short Total Package through www.cobblestone-press.com but I’ll tell you more about that later. I just finished my first paranormal erotica that I hope to find a home for and I’m going to try my hand at my first full-length erotica.

Multicultural romance is just like it sounds: generally the hero or heroine is black and the other is of a different ethnicity. Some African American lines use the term Multicultural even if both hero and heroine are black. Multicultural romance is rich with different cultures and vivid characters that stay with you always. The settings are some of the most beautiful and exotic places you’ll ever read about. Now on to the characters!

What makes a good MC hero? The men are strong, hot, successful alpha men. The lead male comes from successful families most of the time. Although some authors have succeeded in pulling off them having a hard knock life. The men look like they stepped right out of GQ magazine. Don’t get me wrong they have their share of problems: they don’t want to commit, they’re career climbing, don’t want to turn in their player card heroes.

What makes for a good heroine? The women are just as strong as the men. They are chic, beautiful, self-reliant women. They are also imperfect. They are real women. They’ve been hurt, don’t trust or just work too damn hard and don’t have time for a man.

The settings can vary from something very urban and hip like Atlanta, rural and country like Nashville or a beautiful part of Mexico. Multicultural and African American romance is in hot demand. Publishers are begging for quality romance. Publishers like Harlequin’s Kimani are the leading publisher for black romance. Others include St. Martin’s Press, Genesis Press, Kensington, Parker Publishing and Avon. E-publishers that is great for black romance Cobblestone Press (okay I’m partial), Samhain Publishing, Ellora’s Cave, Loose Id and Amber Quill Press.

I want to thank all the readers and bloggers out there and I hope you found a little jewel in my babbling. I will give away a copy of Total Package to the first blogger who emails me and can go on my website www.diamondtaylor.net and tell me where I live.
Here’s a blurb for Total Package:

Rachael Thomas' career is jeopardized when a bachelor drops out of the professional bachelors’ spread. Frantic to find a replacement, she turns to neighbor, James Carrington.


James wants more than just being Rachael’s ‘good friend’ and seizes the opportunity...with one condition--she must spend the night with him!

Readers can contact me at http://www.diamondtaylor.net/ with their answers.

No comments: